International Visiting Medical Student Program
The International Visiting Medical Student Program at the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) is available to qualified medical students from schools with a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with UMMS. Students must be in good academic standing and in their final clinical year of medical school education.
A list of currently approved medical schools may be accessed at this link.
Students enrolled at one of these MOU partner medical schools must proceed with the application process after completing their internal process with nomination/selection by their home program. We offer a variety of electives at UMMS teaching sites. Electives for visiting students are available on a competitive basis each academic year.
- Students must be enrolled in a school with an active MOU with UMMS. The list of approved schools may be found at the link above.
- Students must be in their final clinical year of medical school.
- Students must meet all the elective prerequisites.
- Students must be fluent in English (see TOEFL requirement on guidelines/checklist document). All application materials must be submitted in English.
- International students are eligible to participate in electives noted on the published list titled "International Elective List." Elective availability is subject to change without notice.
- Malpractice/Liability Insurance minimums are $1 million per occurrence / $3 million aggregate. If you do not have malpractice insurance provided by your university, you must purchase it through us if you are accepted.
Process (process to apply is changing as we will now use VSLO to manage applications). You can review the guidelines and checklist currently posted to know what is required, but how it is submitted will change due to the use of the system):
- Complete the entire International Students Application packet including the application and all other required documentation (Please see the International elective guidelines for details).
- The electives you choose must be on the international student elective offering list (top left of this webpage).
- After application has been completed, you must mail your $100 non-refundable application fee to the address listed at the bottom of the international elective guidelines form, in order for your application t be reviewed. **Please Note: Once your check has been received by our office a confirmation email will be sent to you letting you know that it has been received.
- A non-refundable administrative fee will be assessed upon placement in an elective.
- Applications that are missing information will not be processed.
**Please Note: Changes to an International visiting student's elective schedule are not allowed once the student has arrived in the United States.
Note: we are not accepting telephone inquiries at this time.