Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup
- 1 c red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and 1/4” cubed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon good-quality curry powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-6 green onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ 14 oz can coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large stockpot combine lentils and water, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the sweet potato, carrot, and half the ginger. Continue to simmer until sweet potato is almost tender.
- In a small skillet, add curry powder and toast until fragrant. Remove from skillet once toasted. Return skillet to stove and add olive oil. Next, stir in remaining ginger and half the green onions to skillet over medium low heat. Sauté until onions are softened, 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste and continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes. Finally, stir in toasted curry powder and stir, making sure everything is mixed well.
- Add the tomato paste mixture along with the coconut milk to the lentil base. Stir and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. I served this soup more as a hearty thick stew so you may need to play with the consistency by adding more water.
Source :http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Y-Coconut-Curry-Red-Lentil-Soup-Naturally-Ella-200094 by Erin Alderson